July of 2017 was shaping up to be a great month. I was in the middle of half marathon training and triathlon training and things were looking great. I was strong, feeling good, and then one morning I noticed the bottom of my foot was sore when I climbed out of bed. Strange. In my 8 years of running, my feet are never something that has bothered me.
Over the next few weeks, my heel is becoming more and more stiff and sore until one day after a run, I can’t even put weight on that foot at all.
I consulted with Dr. Google, asked questions to all my runner buddies, checked Youtube videos, and even spoke with my orthopedic surgeon neighbor! I tried it all. The nighttime boot, the stretches, rolling with a golf ball, no running at all, no high heels, wearing supportive shoes all the time, no jumping, etc. I even stopped exercising COMPLETELY for 3 weeks in an effort to heal my foot. No dice.
The trick for me was as follows:
- Orthotics! I wear this brand.
- Soft shoes for every day. I found a pair of sketchers memory foam at Ross that I wear every day all the time. I wear them to work, around the house, EVERYWHERE.
- No pounding. No running of any kind for 5 months. 🙁
- Stretching my calves. I only do this once or twice a day and very gently.
Now that I can barely notice any pain, I am attempting to rebuild my running. I lost so much fitness over the last few months and it’s hard to get back into it. I have signed up for a half marathon and I’m determined to get back into it! Here’s what I’m doing:
- I only run 1 day a week.
- I started at 1 minute of running and 2 minutes of walking.
- I climb the stair-master 4 days a week.
- I swim twice a week for 50 minutes.
- I bike twice a week for an hour.
- I am currently up to 2 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking x 10.
- I put the treadmill on an incline of 1
I am so impressed at how quickly my endurance and strength is coming back! I am continuing to be cautious to not injure myself again, but I am very encouraged at how I am feeling. I might be able to do that half marathon in September after all!!
If you are injured and feel like you will never heal – I’ve been there. More than once. Be patient. Start back slowly. Appreciate what you CAN do.
Dream big, run long.