I first put this recipe together based on my husband’s deep love of all things spicy and every kind of bean that exists. It’s been tweaked over the years and remains one of his favorites today!
- 1 Soup Pot or Dutch Oven
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 2 cups diced onions
- 1 TBSP cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 1 TBSP minced garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- 4 cans black beans or 1 lb bag of dried black beans, cooked
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- Brown the sausage with the onions until the meat is cooked through.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the lime juice.
- Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the lime juice and serve!
- Optional - Top with sour cream, cilantro, and green onions