Time to get baking. This corn cake (not bread, cake) is single-handedly the most delicious thing I have ever eaten. I got this recipe from a friend a while back. That being said, we are going to name this recipe after said friend, Mandy. Way to go Mandy! Still loving this recipe.
First I start by separating 4 eggs – one bowl with egg yolks and a second bowl with egg whites. Set the egg whites aside and use your current bowl with the egg yolks as your wet ingredients bowl. Grab a large bowl to begin adding your dry ingredients to.
In your large bowl you are going to add your cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar (the sheer amount of sugar is the reason we call this cake instead of bread). Whisk your dry ingredients vigorously until combined.
Let’s head back to our egg yolks bowl. Whisk your eggs together then add your milk, vanilla, and melted butter. Be sure your melted butter has had a minute or two to cool. This will keep it from cooking the eggs. Next, you will add the wet ingredients to your dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
Remember those egg whites we put off to the side? It’s time to bring those bad boys back. With a hand mixer, you will beat these egg whites until they are light and fluffy. Once they reach this consistency, you are going to fold them in. Fold it in half at a time to ensure it keeps the fluffiness.
Pour your cream, yellow corn cake mixture into a grease 9×13 baking pan. Bake this at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Once the top of the corn cake is firm to touch, you will know it has cooked perfectly. Top these with some butter and eat right away or serve with chili. Enjoy!
Watch my run through of this recipe here on my YouTube page and start at 8:09.
- 1 9 x 13 dish
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 egg yolks keep egg whites
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 12 tbsp melted butter butter slightly cooled
- In a large mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients and whisk vigorously.
- Separate egg yolks from egg whites.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix egg yolks, milk, vanilla, and meted butter together.
- Slowly add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, and mix until combined.
- Beat egg whites with a hand mixer until fluffy or about 3-5 minutes.
- Fold in half of beaten egg whites. Once the first half is thoroughly folded in, fold in the additional half of egg whites.
- Cook at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
- Corn cake is complete when the top is firm to the touch.