I love this recipe. To me, the round steak and potatoes bring me back to family meals as a child. However, with the addition of red wine vinegar it increases the acidity of the meal while giving a hint of sweetness. It is perfection.
One of the best things about this meal is that you get more bang for your buck with this cut of steak. It’s a lean meat, which can make it tricky to not overcook. While in the slow cooker, I recommend checking the round steak at the 7 hourmark. This is to ensure it remains tender and keeps it from getting dried out.
Once your steak and potatoes are finished, you can shred, slice, or dive right in. Don’t forget to smother it in the thickened gravy and enjoy!
- 1 Slow Cooker
- 2 lbs round steak
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8 potatoes washed and stabbed with a fork
- Put steak into the slow cooker.
- Mix the tomato sauce, soup mix, vinegar, and spices in a bowl.
- Pour mixture over the round steak. Place potatoes on top of steak and sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until steak is tender.
- Take everything out and mix cornstarch and water together and pour into the sauce. Heat until thick and then top the steak and potatoes with the thickened gravy.
This this particular cut of steak you will want to check the steak at hour 7. If cooked through remove and follow the fifth step. This will help ensure steak remains moist and tender.